Julie’s Birth Story

Jun 13, 2012

Last Wednesday I experienced probably the most beautiful act of love I will ever see in my life. I watched my best friend give birth to her second baby boy. I truly regretted missing this the first time around and have been kicking myself since. Even this time it was the day I was going to be leaving for the Outer Banks for a wedding so it was cutting close – luckily I only got a 4 hour late start which was just fine by me because I wasn’t missing this for anything.

I was totally surprised that I felt an incredible high from being present as I watched Jules bring a new life into the world, but even days later, as I’m editing those photos, I’m absolutely enthralled as I live through the experience again. Birth is truly an amazing thing! And for those of you who are wondering – yes I cried like a baby right behind my camera. It was more beautiful and emotional than watching baby story on TLC.

This is Julie pacing the hallways. Her pain here was a 4 – definitely would have been my 10.

Free movies man!

I love this shot. Julie has an amazing husband and sister.

Impatient daddy.

When Jules told me Jakob’s birth story, she mentioned a woman who she described as her guardian angel who came in the room only during the birth and whispered into Julie’s ear. Well, I watched the same thing happen this time. And it is so funny, I saw her only during the birth and never even around the halls or anything after. She really is a guardian angel. I did have a chance to tell her that part of Jakob’s birth story and she said it meant to much to her and makes all of her job worth it.

Such little hands! And fingernails!

I think this is when I was most giddy and crying, when Jakob came in to meet his little brother for the first time!

He was all smiles!

And Jaxon even brought him a cool truck!

This is right after Julie told her dad that Jaxon’s middle name is Kenneth, after him.

I’m so grateful for Jules’ sister, Melissa, she knows how to use a camera for sure. So excited I got to hold him too!!

1. Victoria

June 13th, 2012 at 10:48 am

These are beautiful! I absolutely love the family shots! Congrats Julie!

2. Aleda

June 13th, 2012 at 10:52 am

Dani~ Ok, again, I’m sitting here crying over your art. This is your most amazing work yet. You have captured every emotion of the birthing experience. Yes, being involved in someone’s birth is far different than giving birth. I was at my friends birth of her Daughter and at my Daughter’s for the birth of my Granddaughter, which I will never, ever forget. . .

3. janice

June 13th, 2012 at 11:14 am

Love these – they are so beautiful!

4. Mirtha

June 13th, 2012 at 11:18 am

Dani, this is by far your best heart felt work thus far! I was in tears looking through them! Congratulations to Julie and her family! What a wonderful gift!

5. Lauren

June 13th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

The most beautiful pictures you’ve ever taken, Dani. Hands down. Every one of them is full of emotion. Love. Love. Love.
    And congratulations Julie. You’re beautiful, too! 🙂

6. Mom

June 13th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

oh, geez, the tears are flowing now. This is an unspeakably awesome collection of photos. I love the black and white and I love the moments you chose to photograph and include from beginning to end. Of course, the last one is dearest to my heart~Melissa should be commended for just a lovely shot. Congratulations to Julie and her family!!

7. Jenn

June 13th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

🙂 I especially love the shots of the 4 of them!

8. Amanda

June 13th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Love these! Especially the one where Jakob comes in for the first time to meet little Jaxon. <3

9. vickie

June 13th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

This is so beautiful. It touched my heart and I too cried like a baby. Welcome Jaxon. Congrats Julie, Opie, and big brother Jakob! Dani, outstanding work!

10. teri pozniak // tPoz Photography

June 14th, 2012 at 12:00 am

you already know what team I’m on….but even IIIII welled up a little seeing the story unfold. great job capturing the moments….something your friend will truly cherish 🙂

11. Virginia

June 15th, 2012 at 9:08 am

WOW! Such amazing pictures! The story they tell… it brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations to the beautiful family!

12. Sharon Winer

June 17th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Dani, these are so beautiful and amazingly special–it was wonderful that you were able to shoot Julie & her family’s experience, and I have never seen such an intimate and beautifully photographed birth sequence…maybe you could submit it to ladies’ magazines for publication? Congratulations on a spectacular shoot & to the new baby & family!

13. Dani’s in Italy and Julie’s on her blog! » Dani Leigh Photography

June 28th, 2012 at 9:49 am

[…] K? K.)  Instead, I am chilling at home with my newest sidekick, Jaxon.  It’s hard to believe this was us three weeks ago!  Time flies when you are in love!  Side note – A huge thank you to […]