White Sands, NM

Jan 13, 2015

Warning: all that follows is 28 photos of sand.

BUT it is SO COOL! When Emily and I were booking our trip to Albuquerque, she asked if I wanted to take a leisurely yet super boring 3 hour drive to see White Sands, since who knows if I would ever want to go back out to Albuquerque (but don’t worry – I want to go back all of the time). You know me, I am up for anything so I said yes not really having a chance to google it or anything. A few days later I finally had a chance to look it up and omg, screw hot air balloons (don’t worry – still love those), look at all this sand! 270+ miles of it! In the middle of nowhere New Mexico! It was seriously one of the coolest places I have ever been. This was Emily’s 3rd or 4th trip there and she still seemed enchanted by it, as was I. It was a great place to just stand and do really slow 360s. Truly mesmerizing.

Snagged this awesome shirt at Gap at Columbia Mall. Had to wear it!

We tried to stick around to do some long exposures of stars but sadly the park enforces its very strict 8pm closing time so no real dice there although we were scheming to make something work before realizing we were just going to get into trouble if we did.

The next day when we woke up, we decided we had to go back just one more time. I sorta wasn’t ready to say goodbye and wanted to see the place in broad daylight instead of sunset. The clouds were epic and I wish I had done a time lapse because they were moving so fast. They were dark and stormy looking in one direction and clear blue skies in the other. So bizarre. This is seriously a truly magical place that I didn’t even know existed and now I am completely obsessed and already want to do a shoot there – I mean can’t you picture 10 yards of fabric just fluttering in the breeze on these dunes?

1. Emily

January 13th, 2015 at 10:13 am

Who knew sand could be so awesome?! Incredible.

2. Lauren

January 13th, 2015 at 10:25 am

So pretty, Dani!!!

3. Renee

January 13th, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Holy moly! This is in America?! It’s beautiful and now added to my list!

4. Kate Ann

January 13th, 2015 at 6:41 pm

This place is absolutely breathtaking!! I want to go!

January 13th, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Okay this is literally the coolest thing ever. I am obsessed with the photo you took of Emily looking off in the distance. Absolute perfection. I just need to automatically add every place you go to my must travel list. You rock at this.

6. Tara

January 13th, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Oh my goodness… how incredible!! How is such a beautiful place so unknown? Not sure if I’m ever making it to Albuquerque.. but if I do…

7. Krista A. Jones

January 14th, 2015 at 8:41 am

These photos are amazing! I would say it was definitely worth the 3 hour drive!

8. Kat

January 14th, 2015 at 10:26 am

This makes me long for the sand, and light, airy colors of summer. *swoon*

9. tPoz

January 14th, 2015 at 11:38 am

totally enamored with both of your posts of this place! I hate driving, but 3+ hours would totally be worth it!! I love the glittery sand pix, as well as the ones that show perspective of how wide open this place is! I can totally picture you doing your slow 360’s! And I can hear you telling Emily to run faster in those goofy pix! AND i am obsessed with that one of your backs, facing the sunset. gorgeous stuff here. you will surely be plastering your walls with some of these!